New Mexico Indian Affairs Department

What We Do

Since 2003 the New Mexico Indian Affairs Department (IAD) has implemented groundbreaking state-tribal policies intended to improve the quality of life for the state's Indian citizens. IAD's policy initiatives are designed to strengthen tribal and state relations and address the challenges we face in our communities; challenges such as economic development, infrastructure improvement, the protection of our cultures and languages, health care accessibility, and educational opportunities for our most precious resource, our children.

On our website, you will learn more about the wonderful work IAD is doing for New Mexico and for the Indian citizens of our great state. As the first cabinet level state Indian affairs department in the nation, we continue to set the standard for what is possible when state and tribal governments work together to address mutual concerns in respectful and positive dialogue between sovereign governments.

IAD Announcements

Alternative/ Renewable Energy Workshop

We are pleased to offer the last of our workshop series on August 18, 2016. This Alternative/Renewable Energy Workshop will feature presentations from Big Navajo Energy, Indian Energy LLC, and the Energy Conservation and Management Division of the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department. If you are interested in attending this workshop, click on the following link for the registration link and agenda,

Tribal Infrastructure Fund (TIF) Board Meeting

The next Tribal Infrastructure Fund Board meeting will take place on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 from 1:00 to 2:00 PM in the Manzano Sunrise Room at the Isleta Resort and Casino. For more Information please see the meetings and events page,

General Announcements

Rio Grande Trail Commission Meeting

The next Rio Grande Trail Commission meeting will be on Thursday, September 22, 2016 in the Village of Corrales. Meeting details to be updated soon.

To request additions or corrections to our website, please contact our department at (505) 476-1600.